Hello, my friends!
I recently made these muffins when I was looking for a springy dessert to make, and they turned out to be SO good that I wanted to share them with you! They’re exploding with blueberries, and have just the perfect hint of lemon. Plus, muffins are perfect for breakfast, or snacks. (Night or day! Any midnight snackers out there?)
Read on for my favorite muffin recipe and lots of pretty food photography!
The odd thing about this recipe is that you use a mixer. I’ve never made muffins with a mixer, and when I read it, I thought I printed the wrong recipe. o.O But nope! You do use the mixer for this recipe, to whip the butter and sugar together. The muffins turned out light and fluffy, thanks to the mixer!
The other note to be careful of is to use the lowest speed when adding the blueberries or fold them in by hand. My batter was thick, so I didn’t think I could do it without the mixer, but a few of the blueberries on the inside turned out smashed. But they were just as good, either way!
We didn’t have lemons when I wanted to make them, so I just used lemon juice. If you don’t have lemons to make lemon zest with, don’t worry! They turned out fine without, but with it, it would be more lemony.
I ate these with a cup of my favorite cinnamon vanilla tea since it’s snowing and cold here, once again. I wish spring would come back. 😜
This is a behind-the-scenes photo, completely unedited, of the messy muffin tray. The crumb topping was all over the pan and there was a muffin missing since I was using it for one of the photos. But, it’s more true to real life. 😉
If you use frozen blueberries, your muffins will turn a green-purple color, so I prefer fresh. It doesn’t change the taste, but it does make them look a little weird. So I’d recommend using fresh!
Let’s dive into the recipe!
my favorite blueberry lemon muffins
- 1 and 3/4 Cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspon Baking Sowder
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 6 tablespoons Unsalted Butter softened to room temperature
- 3/4 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 tablespoon Lemon Zest
- 3 Large Eggs
- 1/2 cup Plain Yogurt or Sour Cream at room temperature
- 1 and a half teaspons Pure Vanilla Extract
- 3 tablespoons Milk
- 3 tablespoons Fresh Lemon Juice
- 1 and 1/2 cups Fresh or Frozen Blueberries using frozen blueberries will turn your muffins a greenish/purple color
- 1/3 cup All Purpose Flour
- 2 tablespoons Packed Light or Dark Brown Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Lemon Zest
- 2 tablespoons Unsalted Butter
- Make the muffins: Whisk the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt together in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- In a large bowl using a handheld or stand-mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugar together on high speed until smooth and creamy, about 2 minutes. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl as needed. Add the lemon zest and beat on medium speed for 1 minute. Add the eggs, yogurt, and vanilla, and beat for 1 minute, then turn up to high speed until the mixture is combined and mostly creamy. (It’s okay if it appears somewhat curdled!) Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl as needed.
- With the mixer running on low speed, add the dry ingredients, milk, and lemon juice into the wet ingredients and beat until no flour pockets remain. Gently fold in the blueberries. Avoid over-mixing. Batter is thick and fluffy.
- Spoon the batter into prepared muffin cups, filling them all the way to the top.
- Make the crumb topping: In a small bowl, use a fork to mix all of the crumb topping ingredients together.
- Spoon topping evenly on top of each filled muffin cup, gently pressing it down onto the surface so it sticks. Bake for 5 minutes at 425°F, then, keeping the muffins in the oven, reduce the oven temperature to 350°F (177°C). Bake for an additional 18–19 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. The total time these muffins take in the oven is about 23–24 minutes, give or take.
- Allow the muffins to cool for 5 minutes in the muffin pan, then transfer to a wire rack to continue cooling. Enjoy warm, or at room temperature!
now, it’s your turn!
Do you like blueberry muffins? What’s your favorite kind of muffin? Are you going to try this recipe?
Thank you so much for reading, and happy baking!
Looks delicious! Can’t wait to try these 🙂
Yum! Those look amazing! And the pictures are gorgeous!
Thank you! <3
Autumn Rebecca says
These look amazing! 😋
They were delicious!
Ack, Pearl, too many good recipes XD I love muffins! Much better than cupcakes, in my opinion. 😜 The photos are so pretty, too! ✨ I really need to find a time to go through actually make all these recipes ~ hopefully soon XP
I’m sorryyyy. XD I should just ship you some. But, I don’t know how well they would survive flying over the ocean. When we have our W.A.K.E.O meet up at last, I’ll make them then. 😁😜 If you do have the chance to make them before then, let me know what you think! <3
Pearl, these look SO good! The pictures are beautiful and I love that you included your cup of tea. Thank you for this recipe! My dad really likes blueberry muffins so I’ll have to make these for him. (;
Aw, thank you!! <3 That's so sweet of you ~ let me know what you think of them once you make them!
Bella Waugh says
Mmm yummy!! My mom makes blueberry lemon muffins a lot, and they’re so yummy!! Great post, Pearl!
Lucky! That’s so fun–I’m going to have to make these more frequently now. 😜 Thank you so much!!
Bella Waugh says
haha, yep it’s delicious!! Of course!
This post made me hungry…🤤 And that tea sounds delicious!!! I have made this recipe before (or one like it) and the muffins were sooooo good!!! Thank you for sharing 😀
*hands you some* Yesss, lemon blueberry ones are especially good! Thank you for reading and your sweet comment!
These were so delicious-
I think I would like to try them with lemon zest- because I don’t know if anything can be too lemony!
But I was sure glad you made them with what we had because they were super yummy.
I know! Haha, I’ll make you more soon.
Well put lemon zest on the walmart order, Mother. 😂 They were soo good!!
This looks delicious!!!😋 I will have to try them .
Let me know what you think!!
Alannah Faith says
Those look so delicious! I love the photos, Pearl–and I love muffins!
Aw, thanks! Me too. (:
Chloe Ruth says
Usually muffins don’t appeal to me, but these look SO good. I might have to try them sometime!
Oh, really? You seem like you’d be the kind of person to like muffins. XD Let me know what you think of them!
A. J. Syngraféas says
Muffins are like my favorite food, so I really want to try these! Your pictures are so cute! I love how you did this post! Also, the blog redesigning is looking great! (Still shocked me when I got on but, love it! XD)
They’re so good, aren’t they? Almost like a cupcake but healthier.Thank you so much! (It still surprises me, too. xD)